- Government and Construction Contracts
3500 Lenox Road
One Alliance Center, 4th Floor
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
John H. “Jack” Horne focuses his practice primarily on government and construction contracts, litigation and counseling. This includes all aspects of contracts beginning with contract review and negotiations, and bid protests before the Government Accountability Office and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. He further advises on contract performance and disputes resolution. Jack’s background in government provides a solid base for dealing with agencies such as the Department of Defense, General Services Administration, Homeland Security, Housing & Urban Development, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and Freddie Mac. In recent years Jack has represented and supported national contractors for HUD and FDIC in management and marketing of troubled assets nationwide.
Prior to joining Weissman, Nowack, Curry & Wilco, Jack was the Partner-in-Charge of Yoss LLP’s Atlanta office. Earlier in his career, he served as attorney advisor for the U.S. Army Research & Development Center & Night Vision Laboratory at Ft. Belvoir, Virginia. Later, he became Regional Trial Attorney for the Defense Contracts Administration Services, Atlanta Region. He was appointed as a Presidential Interchange Executive as Special Counsel to IBM World Trade in Tarrytown, New York and was the Managing Counsel for Government Products Group of The Singer Company in New York City, dealing primarily with U.S. and foreign defense acquisition programs and associated negotiations, disputes and litigation worldwide. Since 1984 he has practiced in the private sector in Atlanta and Washington, DC.
In the Profession
Active in the legal profession, he is a Member, American Bar Association (International, Public Contracts Sections); Atlanta Bar Association (Construction Law Section); Federal Bar Association (Government Contracts and International Councils); State Bar of Georgia (General Practice, Litigation Sections);District of Columbia Bar Association; Louisiana State Bar Association; and New York State Bar Association. Jack is also admitted to practice in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the U.S Supreme Court.
In the Community
Jack served in the U.S. Army as Captain (Artillery) Helicopter Pilot from 1962-1967 in Germany and Vietnam as well as a Flight Instructor at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, He is a Member, National Defense Industry Association; Member, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association; and Member, Military Order of the Purple Heart.
Jack is currently the Chairman of the Board of the Senior Citizens Services of Atlanta Foundation & Life Trustee of Meals on Wheels Atlanta that provides home delivered meals and “HOME” services to the fragile elderly of Atlanta.
- Successful Bid Protest to the Government Accountability Office challenging the U.S. Navy’s evaluation and award of contract in excess of $200 million on a submarine sonar system program.
- Successfully pursued a multi-million dollar claim against an aerospace systems competitor for trade secret violations and breach of contracts not-to-compete by former employees in U.S. District Court.
- Successfully pursued $5 million equitable adjustment on minimum quantity national contract for managing and marketing troubled assets of HUD.
- Successfully pursued multi-million dollar claims for simulation contractors with U.S. Army, Navy and Air Force and at The Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and the Court of Federal Claims.
- Successfully defended against claim for patent infringement as inadequate reduction to practice invalidating patent on military security device.
- Negotiated contracts for purchase, sale and lease back of foreign-owned Boeing 707 aircraft for U.S. prime contractor’s use on new D.O.D. flight training programs.
- Successfully recovered a $54 million claim on Crane Ships construction from U.S. Navy for constructive changes in specifications.
- Representation of new state agency responsible for acquisition of all information and telecommunication technology and systems for all state agencies and departments.
- Counseled and advised Small Business 8A ordinance/missile fuse manufacturer in subcontracting with systems prime contractors and mentor-protégé programs.